Starting the human resource function in a company of any size can be a daunting experience. You must be concerned about a wide range of issues, from the operational (establishing policies and procedures) to the strategic (designing a competitive compensation and benefit plan). And chances are that if you’re faced with all of these challenges, you are probably an HR generalist. If so, then you will find that Human Resource Essentials: Your Guide to Starting and Running the HR Function is ideally suited to address your workplace realities.
From staffing, training, and performance management to compensation and benefits, policy creation and review, and management reports, this thoroughly revised best-seller offers the information needed to design the HR function. It provides easy-to-follow instructions for designing a foundation for a reliable and productive employee relations strategy.
New or expanded in this second edition are
- The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act -- more commonly referred to as “health care reform”
- The latest data on workplace trends and the economic downturn
- Updates on the statutes and regulations that govern the employer-employee relationship
- The critical connection between HR and ROI
- The emergence of social networking in talent recruitment
- And much more.
Table of Contents:
- Chapter 1: Essentials of Starting a Human Resource Function
- Chapter 2: Staffing Plans and Legalities
- Chapter 3: Recruitment, Selection, and Beginning Employment
- Chapter 4: Performance Management and Ending Employment
- Chapter 5: Training and Development
- Chapter 6: Compensation and Benefits
- Chapter 7: Rules, Communication, and Record-Keeping
- Chapter 8: Workplace Safety and Security
- Chapter 9: Management Reports
- Chapter 10: Outsourcing and Consultants
- Appendix A: Federal Requirements Affecting Human Resources
- Appendix B: Federal Labor Laws by Number of Employees
- Appendix C: Timeline of Health Care Reform Impacts
- Appendix D: Resources and Reading List
- Appendix E: Contributors
About the Author: Lin Grensing-Pophal, M.A., SPHR, is an HR/communication consultant and business journalist with an extensive background in corporate communications and employee relations. Her firm, Strategic Communications, LLC works with businesses to develop and implement strategic communication solutions for both internal and external audiences. Pophal is a prolific writer of business management and marketing articles for both general and trade publications and is the author of several books, including: Managing Off-Site Staff (2010), Employee Management for Small Business (2010), and The Essentials of Corporate Communications and Public Relations (2006).
|Name||Human Resource Essentials: Your Guide to Starting and Running the HR Function, 2nd Edition|
|Author||Lin Grensing-Pophal, SPHR|