Point Counterpoint II: New Perspectives on People + Strategy
This book is the second in a series originated with Point Counterpoint in 2012Â which addressed the five knowledge areas of HR: Strategy and Planning; Leadership Development, Talent Management, Organization Effectiveness, and Building a Strategic HR Function. This book contains 16 sets of Point Counterpoint debates addressing five key topics at the intersection of people and strategy:
- The Future of HR
- Leadership and Talent Development
- Performance and Potential Management
- Organizational Design
- Organizational Purpose and Health
Each set of articles has a Learning Guide for the development of teams in organizations (think: lunch-and-learn sessions)Â or students in classrooms (think: a complete syllabus and facilitated lesson plan).Â Our intent is to make it easy for both an HR leader in an organization and an academic in the classroom to facilitate significant conversations on essential issues that have no clear black and white answers. For each Point/Counterpoint, the Learning Guide is structured as follows:
- Discovery Questions. What are you dealing with in your organization today that relates to this content area?
- Selected Facts. What new facts that were presented got your attention?
- Key Discussion Points. What were the key points being made in this presentation?
- Review of Solutions. Identify 2-3 Big Ideas worthy of exploring in your organization.
- Identifying the Paradox. How is it that a solution appropriate for yesterday's organization is no longer valid? Consider how very different perspectives might be correct given different situations.
- Learning Outcomes. What one new piece of information did you learn that will be important to you in the future?
More than 90 authors, consultants, academics, and practitioners contributed and many of our profession's strongest thought leaders are represented in Point Counterpoint II, including John Boudreau, Allan Church, Daryl Conner, Jay Gailbraith, Eva Sage-Gavin, Robert Hogan, Aaron Hurst, Amy Kates, Greg Kessler, Bob Rosen, Noel Tichy, among many others.
The People + Strategy journal Perspectives: Point Counterpoint column was started with an understanding that in the strategic arena of HR, there often is no one right answer, and that proper solutions evolve from the straightforward presentation of facts and various points of view. It is in this context that we offer Point Counterpoint II.
|Name||Point Counterpoint II: New Perspectives on People + Strategy|
|Author||Richard Vosburgh, Ph.D., Anna Tavis, Ph.D., Marc Sokol, Ph.D.|