SHRM will be switching to a new e-learning platform. Between January 1, 2016 and March 1, 2016, you will not be able to take the quiz required to receive credit for this book. However, the code you will receive when purchasing this book will be usable UNTIL December 31, 2015 and AFTER March 1, 2016. We apologize for any inconvenience. If you have any questions, please contact the SHRMStore at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This book has been Approved for Recertification Credit. After reading this approved book, you must complete a quiz on SHRM’s E-Learning platform. When you purchase this book from the SHRMStore, you will receive a code that you can use to cover the cost of the quiz. Receive a 70% or better score on the quiz and you will then receive a certificate of completion with the program ID that entitles you to 3.0 PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT CREDITS for SHRM Certification and 2.5 GENERAL credit hours for HRCI. Use the corresponding Program IDs to log your credits. For a complete list of the books approved for credit, visit the Approved Books List. Learn more on our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) page.
A quick and ready reference, The Manager’s Guide to HR has long been the gold standard to those needing clarification on hot-button issues such as privacy, working place conflict, sexual harassment, disabilities, and more. This bestseller answers all the questions you’re likely to ask as an HR manager, people manager, or small-business owner, such as How much documentation do you need to keep on each employee? What steps must you take before firing a problem employee? What’s the best way to confront complicated staff issues, and even workplace violence?
Including sample templates from federal regulatory agencies--along with thorough explanations of their purposes and value to you, your company, and your employees--this book gives you step-by-step instructions for documenting everything and keeping records. In addition to outlining your rights and responsibilities related to hiring, terminating, compensation, benefits, performance management, training, and more, the second edition includes updated and current trends on
- How social media is changing the recruitment landscape and the National Labor Relations Board’s (NLRB) stance on work-related employee speech on social media
- Amendments to the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
- The Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) guidance on tips and its final rule on the Fluctuating Workweek Method.
- The Occupational Safety and Health Administration’s (OSHA) Hazard Communication (HAZCOM) standard (regulation) that applies to every private sector and to most public sector employers.
- The Wage & Hour Division’s enforcement efforts surrounding “off-the-clock work” and its rules pertaining to independent contractors.
- Substantial increase in the coverage of the Equal Pay Act.
- The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission’s (EEOC) final recordkeeping rule related to the Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act (GINA).
- New content explaining how an employer can create a response team to deal with probable or actual instances of workplace violence.
- And much more!
The book provides a clear, thorough overview of federal laws--what they protect against, how they are enforced, and what penalties may be enforced when they are broken.
Table of Contents
- Chapter 1. Hiring
- Chapter 2. Performance Evaluations
- Chapter 3. Training
- Chapter 4. Benefits
- Chapter 5. Compensation: The Fair Labor Standards Act
- Chapter 6. Employment Laws
- Chapter 7. Hot Button Issues: Sexual Harassment and Workplace Violence
- Chapter 8. Privacy Issues
- Chapter 9. Firing and Separation
- Chapter 10. Documentation and Records Retention
“It’s simply organized, easy to read, and can help you avoid expensive HR issues … [it] deserves a place on every supervisor’s bookshelf and in every HR department.”
-- Inland Empire Business Journal
About the Author
Max Muller is an attorney and speaker who has specialized in human resource law for more than 30 years.
|Name||The Manager's Guide to HR: Hiring, Firing, Performance Evaluations,Documentation, Benefits, and Everything Else You Need to Know, 2nd edition|